A leading US-based smart grid communication company needed to develop and enhance their AMI product for one of the largest Smart Metering Installations. They turned to Infinite’s expertise and agility in the domain of building Energy and Utilities solutions better than other companies in this space.
The customer is a key player in Smart Grid Communication, helping leading utilities and energy retailers enhance energy efficiency, improve grid reliability, bring down operating costs and integrate renewable energy resources, while empowering consumers to better manage their energy consumption. The client supplies utilities with wireless mesh equipment to enable two-way communication networks throughout the electric grid. They are also one of the largest players in AMI.
•The customer is part of one of the world’s largest deployments of Smart Meters for a large European utility provider covering 17 Million consumers.
•The deployment needed software that would enable communication with the meters to collect data such as meter reads and perform various operations like online firmware upgrade and have reporting interfaces with the Billing and SAP systems.
•A key challenge was the need to work continuously with evolving requirements. This was primarily due to change in interfaces of new hardware components that were designed for the first time using open standards for communication.
•The development team was located across 3 time zones requiring robust project management systems and processes to ensure seamless coordination between the teams.
- Infinite partnered with the customer to develop the customized head end software for the smart meter deployment. The solution involved software development and testing for the AMI product and field devices
- The project needed an Agile project management approach to development in the form of SCRUM methodology.
- The team built a comprehensive simulator to simulate the behavior of all devices (Electric and Gas Meters, IHU and Communication Hub) as the devices were available very late in the cycle.
- The team performed integrated testing framework across head-end software, interface controller and smart meters
- Infinite’s team assisted in seamless deployment of multiple phases of the project and is working on automating the test cases to reduce the testing time with every testing cycle.
Infinite’s strong focus on the customer’s needs ensured successful delivery on all milestones. The team now extends its support to all components of the product. The customer’s confidence in the team led to Infinite’s involvement in the customer’s sales effort by being a part of the demos to their prospective clients.
- Product runs in clustered environment with hardware load balancer.
- Open standard protocols like TCP/IP, GPRS, ZigBee, DLMS/COSEM
- Google Web Toolkit, Apache Tomcat
- Java, Hibernate, Web Services, Spring
- Oracle 11g with RAC
- Red Hat Linux
- One of the world’s largest deployments of Smart Meters covering 17 Million consumers
- To enable communication with the meters to collect data and have reporting interfaces with the Billing and SAP systems.
- Evolving requirements stemming from changes in interfaces of freshly designed hardware components
- Developed and tested the customized head end software for the smart meter deployment
- Agile approach to development in the form of SCRUM methodology
- Comprehensive simulator built to simulate the behavior of all devices
- Integrated testing framework across head-end software, interface controller and smart meters
- Strong focus on the customer’s needs ensured successful delivery on all milestones.
- Infinite now extends its support to all components of the product.
- Infinite’s team involved in the customer’s sales effort by being a part of the demos to their prospective clients.
Infinite Computer Solutions is your partner in growth, providing flexible solutions that reduce costs, enable new business competences and drive continuous process improvements that contribute to increased revenues. With a global team of over 5000, Infinite partners with Fortune 500 companies from Telecom, Healthcare, Energy & Utilities, Digital Publishing, and Banking & Finance industries to provide Application Development and Maintenance, IT Infrastructure Services and Product Engineering Services including Mobility & Messaging Products and Solutions.