By Julie Tetel Andresen,Phillip M. Carter
This cutting edge advent outlines the constitution and distribution of the world’s languages, charting their evolution over the last 200,000 years.
- Balances linguistic research with socio-historical and political context, delivering a cohesive photograph of the connection among language and society
- Provides an interdisciplinary creation to the research of language by way of drawing not just at the various fields of linguistics (structural, linguist anthropology, ancient, sociolinguistics), but in addition on heritage, biology, genetics, sociology, and more
- Includes 9 exact language profiles on Kurdish, Arabic, Tibetan, Hawaiian, Vietnamese, Tamil, !Xóõ (Taa), Mongolian, and Quiché
- A significant other web site bargains a number of supplementary fabrics together with, sound documents, additional workouts, and exact introductory details for college students new to linguistics
Read or Download Languages In The World: How History, Culture, and Politics Shape Language PDF
Best linguistics books
Thirty-three million humans within the usa converse a few number of Spanish, making it the second one so much used language within the kingdom. a few of these individuals are contemporary immigrants from many various nations who've introduced with them the linguistic features in their homelands, whereas others come from households who've lived during this state for centuries.
The circulation idea of keep an eye on (MTC) makes one significant declare: that keep an eye on kin in sentences like 'John desires to go away' are grammatically mediated by way of circulate. This is going opposed to the normal view that such sentences contain no longer move, yet binding, and analogizes keep watch over to elevating, albeit with one very important contrast: while the objective of stream up to the mark buildings is a theta place, in elevating it's a non-theta place; but the grammatical strategies underlying the 2 buildings are an analogous.
The e-book offers an outline of Unua, one in every of dialects of Unua-Pangkumu, an Oceanic language of Malakula Island, Vanuatu. Unua has approximately seven-hundred audio system who're bilinguals utilizing Unua in neighborhood interactions and utilizing the nationwide language, Bislama, non-locally, in addition to in neighborhood public and non secular settings.
Erstmals werden in dieser Publikation die Familiennamen des heutigen Luxemburgs aus sprachhistorischer Perspektive analysiert und systematisiert. Die 2500 häufigsten Familiennamen werden basierend auf synchronen und diachronen Quellen sorgfältig hinsichtlich Namentyp, Etymologie, sprachhistorischer Entwicklung und geographischer Verbreitung untersucht.
- Europe Undivided: Democracy, Leverage, and Integration After Communism
- Indo-European Perspectives: Studies In Honour of Anna Morpurgo Davies (Oxford Linguistics)
- One Language, Two Grammars?: Differences between British and American English (Studies in English Language)
- The Regional Diversification of Latin 200 BC - AD 600
- Translating China for Western Readers: Reflective, Critical, and Practical Essays (SUNY series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture)
- Corpus-Assisted Discourse Studies on the Iraq Conflict: Wording the War (Routledge Advances in Corpus Linguistics)
Extra info for Languages In The World: How History, Culture, and Politics Shape Language
Languages In The World: How History, Culture, and Politics Shape Language by Julie Tetel Andresen,Phillip M. Carter