Infinite built the first ever cloud-based SMS Banking solution for an Indian Bank and major Indian Telecom operator using Infinite’s Enterprise Messaging Service (EMS) platform.
Infinite’s EMS allows enterprises to communicate with customers, employees and business partners using the ubiquitous text message or SMS to their mobile devices. The solution is designed for banks, enterprise clients and institutions to send alerts, updates or marketing campaign messages to mobile devices.
This project had two customers: the first, a reputed nationalized Indian Bank which has over 900 branches all over India. The second is a major Indian Telecom operator. Infinite’s task was to bring their services together for the bank’s and Telecom operator’s customer base individually.
- As a personalized end-user communication instrument, mobile phones today are perhaps the easiest channel via which a bank can reach out to customers, anytime, anywhere. What’s more, the operation of SMS banking functionality over phone is very simple.
- The SMS banking channel acts as the bank’s means of alerting its customers on an individual basis when a predefined ‘abnormal’ transaction happens on a customer’s account using the ATM or credit card. This capability mitigates the risk of fraud going unnoticed for a long time and increases customer confidence in the bank.
- The bank wanted to offer SMS Banking services to customers, an approach that would reduce the customer’s visits to the branch and in turn increase productivity. The bank was looking for a high-availability, reliable SMS gateway service with system integration expertise that could integrate Core Banking Services (CBS) and deliver the SMS by integrating with the operator’s SMSC.
- The solution was built on Infinite’s EMS platform that facilitates the exchange of mobile messages between enterprise applications and mobile users, using protocols that are easy for the applications to use, while hiding all of the complexities of mobile delivery. This was the first time a cloud based solution was used by an India bank.
- Methodology and Approach
- Infinite provided a cloud based solution for the bank in which the VMware Hypervisor is used to create multiple virtual instances as shown below and one of the instances was used to install the EMS. This provides scalability.
- Rapid Deployment approach was followed: POC was created in 2 weeks and UAT/FT was completed in 4 weeks and service went live two days ahead of schedule.
- Integrated the Bank CBS to EMS using http connection.
- Integrated EMS to operator’s SMSC using SMPP connection.
- The EMS system was thoroughly tested for security before product release. ISO27001 process was followed providing heightened security by limiting access to specific IP addresses and ports and disabling insecure protocols.
- The bank can provide customer service using SMS Banking facility without customer visiting the branch office for most of the queries such as Balance Query or Cheque Book Request. This is especially useful for customers living in remote areas with limited access to the internet.
- The bank can make significant cost savings by not investing in additional manpower to cater to increasing customer service requests as the SMS-based solution precludes this need.
- The SMS solution currently sends over 50,000 messages per day over a 12 hour day to start with and a plan to scale up to 100,000 messages/day within 6 months.
- The EMS system has been giving 99.9% availability with a 100% delivery rate to SMSC.
- OS: VMware vSphere 5.0
- Hardware: Rack Mount Dell Power Edge R420 server with a high performance output.
- The EMS uses Fusion chart for providing detailed reports with statistics.
- Nationalized Indian bank needed a highly available, robust SMS banking services solution to be built within a short period of time.
- It was to be a cloud based solution at their Data Centre by integrating with Banks’s CBS (Core Banking services) application and the Mobile Operator’s SMSC.
- Built on Infinite’s EMS platform that facilitates the exchange of mobile messages between enterprise applications and mobile users .
- Cloud based solution for the bank in which the VMware Hypervisor was used to create multiple virtual instances one of which was used to install the EMS. This provides scalability.
- The SMS solution currently sends over 50,000 messages per day over a 12 hour day with plans to scale up to 100,000 messages/day within 6 months.
- Bank SMS services went live ahead of the schedule with 99.9% system availability.
“We have pleasure informing you that the SMS Services provided to us by Operator through you is functioning to our satisfaction” ¬– Functional & Technical Head, Bank Core Banking Project, Major Nationalized Indian Bank.
Infinite Computer Solutions is your partner in growth, providing flexible solutions that reduce costs, enable new business competences and drive continuous process improvements that contribute to increased revenues. With a global team of over 5000, Infinite partners with Fortune 500 companies from Telecom, Healthcare, Energy & Utilities, Media & Content and Banking & Finance industries to provide Application Management, Infrastructure Management and Product Engineering Services including Mobility & Messaging Products and Solutions.