The Complexity of Securing Data on Multiple Platforms
By Carl Weinschenk on 19 September 2016
Last week, enterprise digital rights management firm Seclore released a study on sharing of secure data among internal and external personnel. Almost all – 98 percent – say that security is a top or significant concern (it’s fair to wonder what the other 2 percent are thinking about). Many believe it is very or somewhat likely that their data has been lost or inappropriately accessed in the past.
The press release on the study doesn’t delve into the unique dangers of mobility other than to acknowledge that it is an issue. Indeed, the overall theme is that more employees, outside vendors, consultants and other trusted parties are gaining access to data, and transfers in which mobile devices are on one or both ends are more common. The overall takeaway is that the platforms on which secure data travels are multiplying.
The release noted that there are several ways in which data is shared. Seventy-five percent of organizations use Enterprise File Sync and Share (EFSS) services and 54 percent report that their employees or interested parties use two or three authorized or unauthorized file sharing services. Other approaches include portable storage devices, file transfer protocol (FTP) and email.
The bottom line is that holistic approaches must be utilized:
The ability to persistently secure any file type across all sharing methods, devices, and storage locations is paramount.
This is a layer above fighting malware and hackers. The good news is that tools are increasingly available. Today, a press release posted at Investing News said that Infinite Convergence Solutions’ NetSfere enterprise messaging service has become part of MobileIron’s AppConnect ecosystem. NetSfere provides device-to-device encryption that syncs all devices for “streamlined user experiences” and provides IT with full policy control. NetSfere will now be available to organizations that use MobileIron’s enterprise mobility management (EMM) platform.
Late last month, Huddle introduced its Unified Authentication Protocol. Huddle, which describes itself as a provider of collaboration tools for enterprise and government, said that the new product provides authentication and security policies such as single sign-on (SSO) across its Web, desktop and mobile apps in a single step. Features include internal/external domains and permission control, support for cross-domain identity management (SCIM), two-factor authentication, Pin lock and viewer access level (on the online iteration).
The world of corporate communications reaches across numerous platforms, from desktop email to smartphones. Stitching together systems that secure data across those platforms is very difficult. It’s virtually impossible for organizations to do it on their own. However, power cross-platform tools are emerging.
Carl Weinschenk covers telecom for IT Business Edge. He writes about wireless technology, disaster recovery/business continuity, cellular services, the Internet of Things, machine-to-machine communications and other emerging technologies and platforms. He also covers net neutrality and related regulatory issues. Weinschenk has written about the phone companies, cable operators and related companies for decades and is senior editor of Broadband Technology Report. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org via twitter at @DailyMusicBrk.