By Donald Winford
- Provides a entire advent to the sector of touch linguistics.
- Examines a variety of language touch phenomena from either basic linguistic and sociolinguistic perspectives.
- Offers an account of present ways to the entire significant kinds of contact-induced change.
- Discusses the final strategies and rules which are at paintings in situations of contact.
Read or Download An Introduction to Contact Linguistics (Language in Society) PDF
Similar linguistics books
Thirty-three million humans within the usa converse a few number of Spanish, making it the second one such a lot used language within the state. a few of these individuals are fresh immigrants from many alternative international locations who've introduced with them the linguistic qualities in their homelands, whereas others come from households who've lived during this state for centuries.
The circulation concept of regulate (MTC) makes one significant declare: that regulate kinfolk in sentences like 'John desires to go away' are grammatically mediated by means of stream. This is going opposed to the normal view that such sentences contain now not move, yet binding, and analogizes keep watch over to elevating, albeit with one vital contrast: while the objective of move up to the mark buildings is a theta place, in elevating it's a non-theta place; but the grammatical techniques underlying the 2 structures are a similar.
The publication offers an outline of Unua, one in every of dialects of Unua-Pangkumu, an Oceanic language of Malakula Island, Vanuatu. Unua has approximately seven hundred audio system who're bilinguals utilizing Unua in neighborhood interactions and utilizing the nationwide language, Bislama, non-locally, in addition to in neighborhood public and non secular settings.
Erstmals werden in dieser Publikation die Familiennamen des heutigen Luxemburgs aus sprachhistorischer Perspektive analysiert und systematisiert. Die 2500 häufigsten Familiennamen werden basierend auf synchronen und diachronen Quellen sorgfältig hinsichtlich Namentyp, Etymologie, sprachhistorischer Entwicklung und geographischer Verbreitung untersucht.
- The Structure of German (Oxford Linguistics)
- A Corpus-Driven Approach to Language Contact: Endangered Languages in a Comparative Perspective (Language Contact and Bilingualism [LCB])
- Die deutsch-italienische Kommunikation: Theorie und Praxis der Interkultur (Interkulturelle Perspektiven in der Sprachwissenschaft und ihrer Didaktik) (German Edition)
- Innovation, Path Dependency, and Policy: The Norwegian Case
Additional info for An Introduction to Contact Linguistics (Language in Society)
An Introduction to Contact Linguistics (Language in Society) by Donald Winford